76 Albert st, london on
In the early years of London, Ridout Street was the main traffic artery into town from the north. It became lined with large mansions of Londoners who were important in business and politics with houses visibly indicating of wealth and community prominence. And what better way to show status than on a main street?
76 Albert Street located on the corner of Albert and Ridout is a plain box-like two storey Georgian architecture built in 1865. Its first occupant was Josiah Blackburn. Born in London England on March 6, 1823, he immigrated to Canada in 1850 as a journalist, publisher and love for politics. Blackburn bought what was believe to be a struggling weekly newspaper called Canadian Free Press from its founder, Willian Sutherland. After three years of issuing a daily edition called the Free Press, which was mostly focused on business and political writing, the paper became a premier success of Southwestern Ontario. In 1885, the paper became Daily Western Advitiser and The London Free Press. He was a man of many talents and ambitions establishing the Ingersoll Chronicle and the Toronto Mail. After his death, his son Arthur occupied the house for a short period. A few other substantial citizens lived there, including George W. Little of the Robinson and Little dry goods firm. In early 1950's the house was a fraternity and was later bought by the London Squash Racquet Club in 1960.
Story by Joan Sam
Source - www.historypin.org, London Room (London Public Library), and Pioneer Days in London (Cl. T. CAMBPELL, MD)
Photo credits: Western Archives (University of Western), The London Squash & Fitness Club